Saturday, June 30, 2007

Twenty-two dollars and some change plus a two-dollar tip




I bought a delivery pizza and paid $3.00+ for this slice (the apple cost $.60) from a popular national pizza franchise. I won't embarrass the company by naming it, so we will just give it a fictional name like A Table Not So Square; a name just randomly picked from my imaginary hat. I found myself caught up in the moment last night as I stared at that miserable dry hunk of crust with pre cooked pre formed artificial "topping product" piled loosely above unmeltable cheese-like food stuff. The pizza sauce was so thin it soaked into the crust leaving a feint pink paint brushed effect on the pizza. So as I analyzed and determined that a slice broke down to roughly a dollar a bite I became uncomfortably aware that I had just been culinarily raped by the delivery girl and even as she left I still tipped her two dollars (it would have been more, but she forgot the soda that I was billed for and she had no idea how to remove the charge and would not relinquish my pizza without payment in full. The tip would have been less, but I don’t like spit in my pizzas either) after she promised to return with my beverage as if she believed I would wait eagerly by the door waiting with school girl applomb for the revisit that would never come.(And never did, in case there are any of you optimists still out there.)

When did frozen grocery store pizzas become better than pizzaria pizzas? I knew we were in trouble the day I pulled into a truck stop, and as I browsed through the aisles I spied a Pizza Kiosk also sporting a popular national name we will refer to as pizza shack. There was a young girl selling pre made pizzas run through a microwave oven to customers from behind a small counter. The selection was limited and the quality of the junk food was compromised but yet there was a long line of customers waiting to order.

I need to spend more time in the kitchen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of pizza. We used to get it every single Friday night when the kids were little and I just got overwhelmed. I rarely can eat pizza now, and usually only the kind we pick up that is made but not baked and we bake it at home. I hate to say it, but it looks to me like you got RIPPED OFF, big-time.