Saturday, September 15, 2007

the Infamouse Maiden Voyage of the S.S.Grumpy Bear

first entry - Day 1 of 3

This is dedicated to the S.S. Grumpy Bear a 30' Sea Ray cabin cruiser and my new home. I'm driving down to finalize the paper work today. I hope I am ready for this, I have always dreamed of living on the open seas. Traveling about living the sailor’s life. I successfully passed my physical and dutifully received my international shots, my passport is current and Mission Bay will soon be the gateway to my future. I have been reading up on seamanship, navigation, repair and first aid. These are the reading materials I have been ingesting:

WEATHER FOR THE MARINER
THE COMPLETE BOOK OF ANCHORING AND MOORING
SEAWORTHINESS: THE FORGOTTEN FACTOR
ADVANCED FIRST AID AFLOAT
STORM TACTICS HANDBOOK
ESSENTIALS OF SEA SURVIVAL
BOATOWNER'S MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL MANUAL
CHAPMAN PLOTING SEAMANSHIP
US COASTGUARD BOATING SKILLS & SEAMANSHIP
KNIGHT'S MODERN SEAMANSHIP
THE MARLINSPIKE SAILOR
THE ELEMENTS OF SEAMANSHIP
ROUGH WEATHER SEAMANSHIP for sail and power
HOW TO READ A NAUTICAL CHART
TIDE TABLES: WEST COAST OF NO AND SO AMERICA
CHARLIE'S CHARTS OF THE WEST COAST OF MEXICO
THE CRUISING GUIDE: Golden Gate to Ensenada
SPANISH FOR CRUISERS: boat repair phrase book
MEXICO BOATING GUIDE

If all that didn’t overwhelm me or kick my better senses in the butt, I guess nothing will. Avast ye lubbers I’m shovin’ off to discover the new world. Or am I just shelling out a lot of clams for a Vikings funeral?

No comments: